Friday, February 1, 2013

Guest post from my mom: Me, Meds, and ADHD

I was so excited with my response to Focaline (ritalin). I was thrilled to be freed from impulsive eating and food cravings.  Also, my body felt noticably peaceful & my husband noticed I was calmer.  This began last Thursday. The following Tuesday I noticed some unusual breathlessness as I was climbing a tiny incline to an evening meeting.  Later that night my heart seemed to be pounding.  The next morning I knew my heart was both racing and beating irregularly.  A cardiologist confirmed I could no longer take this or any related medication.

So, bummer.  I'll be meeting with the ADHD doc within a few weeks to see if there are any alternative ADHD meds I might try.  It's not the end of the world if I can't. I've made it 67 years without.  It was just a nice experience to know what it's like to eat like a "normal" person.  I'll simply continue working through the Weight Watchers Program.

1 comment:

  1. Mom, I'm so sorry you had that experience. It was scary for all of us to think that something might be wrong with your heart. I'm glad it was "just" the meds. I hope there's an alternative!

    ReplyDelete