Saturday, January 26, 2013

Guest post from my mom: ADHD and Impulsivity and Food

I have been officially diagnosed with ADHD. I have been on "Focaline" (Ritalin) for 3 days now and I am amazed! For years, ever since I quit smoking in 1989, I have had problems with food. I see it. I want it. I eat it. I was slender before. Now I am not. Diets result in the same, old story: lose, maintain for a while, gain it back. I never lost my desire to snack in the evening, my most difficult time. Only sheer will power, or going to bed very, very early prevented me from indulging. For 3 nights, I have had NO desire to snack. No cravings, either. That's right: none at all. Also, I don't want to have second helpings of delicious foods. In fact, I don't want to eat much at all! For the first time in my post-smoking life, I don't feel that "pull". WONDERFUL!!! Perhaps I will even reach my 68th birthday (September) as a slender person again.

1 comment:

  1. Mom, that's great! I wonder how much of that is the appetite-suppressive qualities of the Ritalin and how much of it is the behavioral control on the neurological level. I'm interested in that! I'm glad it's going well.

    ReplyDelete