Saturday, January 12, 2013

My Tribe?

This morning I had my first group session with other women with ADD, the first of ten sessions over the next few months.  I sat in a comfy club chair, one of six in a circle, listening to each woman tell her story. I realized how familiar I already was with those stories, the struggles, the humor. It was like when the Gelfling in the Dark Crystal finds out there are others like him! We were all creative and bright people,  all overwhelmed with some aspect of daily living. I wasn't the only one in the room with three unrelated degrees and a bijillion hobbies and interests. I wasn't the only one who struggles with piles of stuff in my home. I wasn't the only one in the room who was told from early on that I wasn't living up to my potential. I wasn't the only one looking for some way to make sense of things.

This is going to be so worth the commitment!

It just struck me it might be funny to include a screenshot of my computer in this post, just to demonstrate what my mind looks like at any given moment: Watching a movie, working on a budget, reading about ADD, writing this post...


This is how it goes for me: Open movie in Chrome. Can't focus just on movie. Open Firefox. Open Facebook. Check FB while watching movie. Movie reminds me of having a safety plan which reminds me of my family binder project. Open binder project. Play a song by Shabba. Dance with baby. Watch movie. Oh yah--my budget! Open Excel and work on budget, return to binder. Blog about stuff. Return to FB, get distracted by actual squirrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment