Sunday, January 20, 2013

Attention Surplus Disorder

One of the things I'm learning about ADD is that it's really a problem with the regulation of executive functions in the brain. It's not accurate to call it simply an attention deficit problem. A lack of attention is only one of the ways ADD manifests. I struggle with maintaining attention during non-stimulating tasks, but one of my main difficulties is actually having too much attention and not being able to task switch. This is a problem with hyperfocus. I can focus on something so well that I lose track of time, forget to eat, put off sleep, and ignore other responsibilities. In those moments (that may last hours), I have an attention surplus problem!

What are executive functions? "Executive functions is an umbrella term for cognitive processes that regulate, control, and manage other cognitive processes, such as planning, working memory, attention, problem solving, verbal reasoning, inhibition, mental flexibility, task switching, and initiation and monitoring of actions." (Read more here.)

I read that list of cognitive processes and it hits me like a ton of bricks--those are my little demons! I crave external order and routine, because without them, the demons get hopping and man, I have a crappy day. My own inner boss, like what Freud called the super-ego in his model of the psyche, is kind of out to lunch. What helps? How do I find that order and routine when I'm a stay-at-home-mom and make my own schedule (within reason, taking into account my kids' needs)?

I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment